Thursday, December 11, 2008

Haiti.

So, I'm going to Haiti. I leave San Francisco on January 4th and the U.S. on January 5th. I read this article in National Geographic (http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2008/09/soil/bourne-text) about Haiti last week. And I couldn't stop thinking about it. About Haiti and how much the people there are suffering. I did some research and contacted a woman named Sasha Kramer who was quoted in the article.

The thing that bothers me most about Haiti is that people don't seem to care. It's the poorest country in the western hemisphere and has a long history of corruption. Because the nation has no natural resources and the people are widely non-Christian and black, no one gives a fuck what happens there. For me, it is all too reminiscent of New Orleans; Kanye West said it perfectly in the days following Hurricane Katrina, "George Bush doesn't care about black people." I think this is true for Haiti, as well.

I read a lot about young people beating others to death. These are often called "hate crimes" and, no doubt, these afflictions are deeply rooted in hate. But I think the term itself all but justifies these crimes. I am not saying that homophobia, racism and sexism do not exist- they absolutely do. But, the issues are deeper. We are raising children who value themselves so minimally that they are unable to value other people. Children so angry and alone, they will lash out at some time and at some one. Just ending racism won't fix the problem. Columbine is a good example. Children who are so insecure and looking for a way to be heard, to matter are capable of hurting themselves or someone else regardless of color, sexuality or gender.

So we have multiple layers of problems. We must end racism and homophobia and sexism and classism and ableism. But we must also foster self-esteem in our young people. We must seek justice in our lives and the lives of others. We must live responsibly. There are no more excuses. The Global Market has created a global exchange of information.

As I write, my husband is watching a documentary about Darfur. I hear a child crying, saying, "We have nothing... we have nothing." This is the world we live in. I am ashamed, embarrassed, guilty. And, simultaneously, hopeful, proud and full of positive energy.

The Constant Gardener is a fantastic movie. About drug companies testing drugs on African people basically without their consent.

I charge you with taking the time to help others, to make this world better than it is now, to fucking care about people besides yourself and your circle of family and friends. A change of heart is powerful and that's all it takes.

Peace.

No comments: